Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Campaign Cash and the Decline of American Politics

The more I've exposed myself to politics, the more I've realized that it's more math than it is political science. It's more accounting than it is constitutional studies. The harsh truth is that the seemingly callous world of American politics has evolved from a global beacon of liberty and freedom into a money-hungry partisan prostitute; a corrupt whore who steals from the poor and gives to the rich (or at least appoints them to a position of prominence).

If you're unfamiliar with the aforementioned enemy, allow me to introduce her. She is the senator or member of Congress, suaded and influenced by corporate dollars rather than the needs of of her constituents. Being a politician isn't cheap. It costs money to get elected - lots of money. A study conducted by The Center for Public Integrity found that in 2004, it took an average of $7 million to get elected to a seat in the Senate, and $1 million to clinch a seat in the House of Representatives. The same study showed that the presidential candidates of that year each spent well over $20 million on their campaigns. The important question is: where does this money come from?

Now, that's a rather grim perspective on what so many believe to be the greatest democracy and society in the world's history. The good news is that such pessimism does not extend to Washington in its entirety. No, thankfully there are, even now as I write, a gallant few on Capitol Hill and and throughout the country who give faith to those like me who've become jaded at the sight of such blatant obstruction of the Founding Fathers' vision for America. To them, I take my hat off and give my thanks.

No comments: